May 31st, 2016
May is so lovely. It’s a month of flowers, beauty, and celebrations. May is home to amazing moments in history, birthdays of some of our favorite celebs, and so much more! So sit back, relax, and let’s celebrate this amazing month!
Did you know?
- Blue jeans were official invented in May of 1873 after Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis obtained a patent for the pants on May 20th.
- The birthstone for May is the emerald which represents love and success.
- The zodiac signs for May are Taurus (April 20-May 20) and Gemini (May 21-June 20).
- The birth flower for May is Lily of the Valley.
- The month May was named for Maia, the Greek goddess of fertility.
- In any given year, no month ever begins or ends on the same day of the week as May does.
- May was once considered a bad luck month to get married. There is a poem that says “Marry in May and you’ll rue the day.”
- May is the month of autumn in the Southern Hemisphere, and spring in the Northern Hemisphere.
Historical moments of May
LARE Institute’s instructors will attest to the fact that some pretty terrific historical events happened during this special month. Check them out below.
- The Empire State Building opened on May 1, 1931.
- Minnesota was admitted to the Union on May 11, 1858.
- On May 14, 1804, Lewis and Clark began their trip up the Missouri River.
- The first regular airmail service in the United States began May 15, 1918.
- During the civil war, Abraham Lincoln signed the Homestead Act on May 20, 1862.
- On May 20, 1932 Amelia Earhart flew across the Atlantic Ocean, marking the first solo flight by a woman.
- South Carolina became the 8th state on May 23, 1788.
- The first permanent English settlement in America was established on May 24, 1607 in Jamestown, VA.
- San Francisco’s beautiful Golden Gate Bridge opened May 27, 1937.
- Rhode Island became the 13th state on May 29, 1790.
- On May 29, 1848, Wisconsin became the 30th state.
Special days of May
May’s famous birthdays
- Martha Jane Canary, better known as Calamity Jane, May 1, 1852
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, May 2, 1972
- Catherine the Great, May 2, 1729
- David Beckham, May 2, 1975
- Audrey Hepburn, May 4, 1929
- Adele, May 5, 1988
- George Clooney, May 6, 1961
- Rob Gronkowski, May 14, 1989
- Anna Jameson, May 19, 1794
- Cheryl Sarkisian, otherwise known as Cher, May 20, 1946
- Christopher Wallace, also known as Notorious B.I.G., May 21, 1972
- Bob Dylan, May 24, 1941
- Queen Victoria, May 24, 1819
- Bob Hope, May 29, 1903
Last fact: May is a great time to begin classes. Enroll at LARE Institute now and make this summer your summer of growth! Happy May! Share your fun facts on the month below!
Leave a Reply